Monday, March 21, 2011

Paranoid?

I have been really paranoid lately, and I really apologize if this poar makes anyone else paranoid but I'd like to know your thoughts. I came across a family's blog about a month ago and it has been tearing at my heart ever since. Their little girl, Maddie, was 4 months old when she quit breathing during a nap and passed away. I had never really thought about SIDS before that (other than the obvious precautions), but ever since I can't get it out of my mind.

Many of the precautions are obvious and we hear about from day 1 (i.e. sleeping on their back), but some of the others I had never heard about. For example, you are not supposed to put bumpers in their bed? Peyton really isn't at the point yet where she moves around a whole lot, but if the bumpers are a hazard to her life, then I will absolutely take them out. I just don't understand why all of these bedding sets come with bumpers if they aren't safe. What is your opinion?

Also, Maddie's mom's blog talks about Angel monitors, and I have seriously been thinking about getting one. I have a video monitor, which I LOVE, but maybe we should use the other one as well. Am I being too paranoid, or is this really a necessary precaution? Have any of you ever used an angel monitor or something similar?

On a much lighter note, Peyton is 4 months old today. I will be posting pics later today!

2 comments:

  1. liz- i think that is a hard call to make. i was really nervous during avery's first year but we left the bumpers in and never got an angel monitor or anything because my fears really never escalated beyond the "normal" fear level but i think if you are losing sleep or are really worried then you should just get the angel care monitor if it will rest all your fears.
    and stop reading all those sad stories that will just make you super scared! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so scary right!? I removed Carter's bumpers for about 2-3 months when he started rolling around in his bed. I feel like when they can roll from back to tummy they are strong enough to get air if needed. Charlotte was strong than Carter earlir and was sitting up way early. So I figured she was strong enough too, to move if she wasn't getting enough. There are so many things to worry about, but I think if you do what the pediatrician suggests and do and the "normal" preventative things you really just have to give it to God! Of course, freak accidents can happen, but just be prepared and try to relax. It's hard though right!:0 Peyton is precious!

    ReplyDelete